Shane ‘Shakey’ Byrne returned to the top spot in the second free practice session for the Bennetts British Superbike Championship at Brands Hatch this afternoon, firing the Be Wiser Ducati to the top of the times with less than a second covering the top 19.
A hectic session saw riders trading blows to claim the leading position, but when the chequered flag fell it was the home hero and defending champion who had the edge by 0.175s from James Ellison. The Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha rider had pushed himself to the leading position several times during the 45 minute dry session, but was nudged into second place in the closing minutes.
Christian Iddon was third fastest for Tyco BMW; he had also featured at the top of the times earlier in the second session but he held off the attack from Luke Mossey and Jason O’Halloran who completed the top five, which represented five different teams and manufacturers.
Glenn Irwin was sixth fastest on the second of the Be Wiser Ducatis and he had been a rider to also feature at the top of the times before the final improvements in the closing stages. Leon Haslam was seventh place ahead of Peter Hickman and Richard Cooper as Jake Dixon completed the top ten.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch, Free Practice one:
- Jason O’Halloran (Honda Racing) 50.425s
- Jake Dixon (RAF Regular & Reserves Kawasaki) +0.008s
- Glenn Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.377s
- Richard Cooper (Buildbase Suzuki) +0.585s
- Tommy Bridewell (Movuno.com Halsall Racing Suzuki) +0.865s
- Dan Linfoot (Honda Racing) +1.017s
- Jakub Smrz (PR Racing Lloyd & Jones Bowker BMW) 1.173s
- Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) +1.449s
- Josh Brookes (McAMS Yamaha) 1.522s
- Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) 1.619s
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch, Free Practice two:
- Shane Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati) 45.384s
- James Ellison (Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha) +0.175s
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +0.220s
- Luke Mossey (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.228s
- Jason O’Halloran (Honda Racing) +0.278s
- Glenn Irwin (Honda Racing) +0.280s
- Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.332s
- Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) +0.429s
- Richard Cooper (Buildbase Suzuki) +0.441s
- Jake Dixon (RAF Regular & Reserves Kawasaki) +0.458s
The next round of the 2018 Bennetts British Superbike Championship take place at Brands Hatch on April 13/14/15. For more information visit www.britishsuperbike.com
Shane ‘Shakey’ Byrne
(Be Wiser Ducati)
Fastest rider in free practice
“I think the Brands Hatch Indy circuit being a short lap means you can learn so much in a session so we didn’t lose anything by sitting out the session this morning. We have done a number of things with the bike including testing a new swingarm and that was cool, but we couldn’t back to back test it against the old one, so that is something we still need to do, but we will stick to what we know for now.
“We need to get a good grid position ready for the races; I am looking forward to it tomorrow because qualifying is so important here. Brands Hatch Indy is a bit of a scratchers circuit and for example this afternoon there were a couple of riders I could have passed in the session, but honestly to find that extra thousandth of a second sometimes means upsetting some people and I don’t mind doing that so much in a race, but not in a practice session!
“We want to come out tomorrow and do the best job possible to set ourselves up for the races on Sunday.”