The name ‘Thruxton’ is an internationally-acclaimed motorcycle racing icon, born from incredible success at the Thruxton 500 race and the Isle of Man TT, inspiring a whole generation of fanatical cafe racers.
Designed and developed to evolve the legend even further, the new Thruxton RS model combines all the original cafe racer design DNA and pure original style with modern Thruxton capability whilst setting a new level of performance with a higher power engine, even more supreme cafe racer handling, and even more contemporary styling, finish and detailing.
- All the hallmarks, features and quality of the celebrated Thruxton R
- Beautiful design with iconic cafe racer DNA and timeless silhouette
- Incredible specification with class-leading chassis and top-specification suspension, brakes, tyres and technology set-up
- Premium finish and detailing.
- Much higher performance
- Updated 1200cc high power Thruxton RS engine
- Major power increase, up by 8PS to 105PS, with more power across the entire rev range
- 112Nm of peak torque delivered 700rpm lower in the rev range
- More responsive and characterful engine characteristics with 20% reduction of inertia
- Higher revving engine, with a red line now 500rpm higher than the previous generation
- Enhanced rider modes.
- Even more agile and intuitive cafe racer handling
- 6kg lighter than its predecessor
- Higher specification Brembo M50 radial Monobloc calipers
- New sticky Metzeler Racetec RR tyres
- All the premium specification standard equipment of the Thruxton R, including:
- Twin 320mm floating Brembo discs & master cylinder
- Race bred, adjustable Showa big piston forks
- Fully adjustable Öhlins twin rear shocks
- ABS & switchable Traction Control
- LED DRL headlight (market dependent)
- Underseat USB
- More modern and contemporary style
- New fully blacked-out style, detailing and finish, including
- Black anodised wheels and engine covers
- Black spring set-up the premium Öhlins RSU
- New premium twin colour paint option.
- New fully blacked-out style, detailing and finish, including
- Built to personalise
- 80 custom accessories including new brushed stainless steel Arrow silencers with carbon end caps and cafe racer fairing
- ‘’Track Racer’’ inspiration kit.
The new Thruxton RS achieves 8PS more power than the previous Thruxton R. This is delivered by significant engine upgrades including high compression pistons, revised ports and cam profile, a secondary air system and a whole host of lighter weight engine components, including:
- Low inertia crankshaft
- Balance shafts
- Rare-Earth alternator
- Magnesium cam cover
- Thin walled engine covers
Along with the higher power, the Thruxton RS also delivers higher torque punch low down and across the entire rev range, peaking at 112Nm @ 4.850 rpm, 700 rpm lower than its predecessor.
Together, all these engine updates deliver a 20% reduction of inertia and a new more responsive and characterful Thruxton RS engine that revs harder for longer, revving 500rpm higher than the Thruxton R.
The Thruxton RS’ distinctive twin upswept silencers add an all-new Euro 5 spec catalytic converter which delivers lower emissions and that unmistakable sound of a British Racing Twin, with a rich and raw note that matches the bike’s legendary name.
Behind the stylish exterior sits a liquid cooling system, carefully integrated to minimise its visual impact and thanks to its Euro 5 homologation, the Thruxton RS achieves lower emissions and enhanced fuel efficiency. Combined with a high first major service interval of 10,000 miles (16,000km), this contributes to a reduced overall cost of ownership.
The new Thruxton RS features a full suite of rider-focused technology to deliver advanced rider control and safety, plus enhanced rider confidence – sensitively integrated to maintain its iconic original cafe racer style and character.
Upgraded 3 riding modes – Linked to the ride-by-wire system, the upgraded three selectable riding modes, Sport, Road and Rain, now adjust throttle map, ABS and traction control settings to better suit the riding conditions or rider preference. This is enabled via the latest generation ride by wire, which delivers enhanced rideability, safety and control.
ABS – The contemporary safety standard, with minimal visual impact, the ABS is responsive yet unobtrusive.
Switchable traction control – Managing the Thruxton RS’ high torque delivery when traction is compromised, the switchable system offers increased rider control.
LED DRL headlight – Incorporated into the headlight, the LED daytime running light
brings excellent visibility and a distinctive light profile (where legislation allows).
LED rear light – Built into the cafe racer inspired minimal tail set-up, the LED rear
light brings a distinctive rear light pattern andexcellent power efficiency.
Ride-by-wire – Enhancing throttle responsiveness, safety and feel.
Torque assist clutch – Optimised for a lighter touch and feel to the clutch to make it easier to ride, and ride longer.
Switchgear – Elegant switchgear presents simple fingertip controls for easy access to the key features on the twin clocks.
USB charging socket – For maximum rider convenience, the USB charging socket charges riders’ essential devices.
Engine immobiliser – Transponder integrated into the key adds greater security.
Stylish twin clocks – Stylish twin clocks, beautifully detailed and premium, incorporate
a digital menu system accessed by the handlebar mounted scroll button.
– Riding mode setting
– Gear position indicator
– Trip settings
– Service indicator
– Range to empty
– Fuel level
– Average and current fuel consumption
– Access to turn off traction control features
Even more agile and intuitive cafe racer handling
Significant weight savings across the entire motorcycle make the Thruxton RS six kilograms lighter than the Thruxton R for an even more dynamic and agile ride – delivered by engine component refinements, and a lighter weight battery.
In addition to the weight saving, the Thruxton RS also now features new category leading Brembo 4-piston M50 radial monobloc calipers and twin floating Brembo front discs, delivering excellent stopping power, and new unique race-specification Metzeler Racetec RR super sticky tyres.
There are also race-bred adjustable Showa USD big piston forks and premium fully adjustable Öhlins piggy back reservoir rear shock, delivering an engaged and thrilling ride.
A legendary name that has created motorcycling history and represented a generation of cafe racers, the Thruxton is a distinctive, beautiful and authentic motorcycle and the all-new RS version of it is the next evolution of this celebrated name. With all of Triumph’s iconic original cafe racer DNA, married to a new blacked-out custom look, muscular poise and a host of beautifully designed premium features, the Thruxton RS is the most contemporary styled Thruxton ever.
Key features include:
- New black powder-coated engine covers, cam cover and sprocket cover finishes
- New black Öhlins RSU springs
- New black Thruxton side panel and sprocket cover with integrated heel guard
- New premium black anodised wheels
- Unique ‘Monza’ cap
- New Triumph triangle tank decal (only on twin paint scheme option)
- Unique sculpted Thruxton tank
- Stainless steel tank strap
- Clear anodised aluminium swing arm
- Daytona footpegs
- 22mm clip-on handlebars
- Black mirrors and indicators
- Twin ride-by-wire throttle bodies and unique Thruxton intake finisher
- Gold engine detailing
- Distinctive red signature key
The new Thruxton RS comes with a single bullet seat set-up as standard. This enhances the focused cafe racer style of the motorcycle and is body coloured. An optional pillion seat accessory kit will be available with a bespoke dual seat and footpegs.
The new Thruxton RS comes in two colour choices:
- Jet Black
- Matt Storm Grey and Matt Silver Ice
Designed with personalisation in mind, the Thruxton RS comes with 80 accessories
to help you add even more comfort, style, protection and security.
It’s never been easier to create your own special with a host of custom-inspired parts to choose from, including: brushed stainless steel Arrow silencers with carbon end caps, cafe racer fairing, fender eliminator kit, pillion seat and footrest set-up, comfort seat, tank and knee pads and Triumph-engineered security additions such as the new Track+ and Protect+, ground anchor and disc lock.
**Availability of accessories is governed by local market legislation – please check with a Triumph market representative for availability.
The original cafe racer
Born from the racing success of the original Bonneville, the original Thruxton played a major part in the birth of motorcycle motorsport on both sides of the Atlantic.
Starting with the legendary Thruxton 500 race series of the late 50s – where the racing ‘Bonnie’ first got its name – the ‘Thruxton’ was a dominating force, with the first top step coming courtesy of British legend Mike Hailwood. In 1969, Malcolm Uphill won the production race at the Isle of Man TT, cracking the 100 mph average lap for the first time onboard a production Thruxton model. In the 1960s, on the road it had also become the bike of choice, inspiring a generation of teenage cafe racers.
Across three significant generations, the Thruxton has maintained its position as the original cafe racer, encapsulating all the style, attitude and key hallmarks. In 2016, Triumph launched to international acclaim a completely new generation of this iconic racing name the Thruxton R – the Ultimate Cafe Racer. A truly modern roadster designed to literally live up to legend, with real poise, real power and real performance complemented with unique finishes, detailing and the highest level of engine and suspension specification.
|NEW 2020 THRUXTON RS|
|Engine Type||Liquid cooled, 8 valve, SOHC, 270° crank angle parallel twin|
|Bore/Stroke||97.6 x 80 mm|
|Maximum Power||105 PS/103 bhp (77 kW) @ 7,500 rpm|
|Maximum Torque||112 Nm @ 4,250 rpm|
|Fuel system||Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection|
|Exhaust||Brushed 2 into 2 exhaust system with twin silencers|
|Final drive||O-ring chain|
|Clutch||Wet, multi-plate assist clutch|
|Frame||Tubular steel cradle|
|Swingarm||Twin-sided, aluminium – Clear anodized|
|Front Wheel||32-spoke 17 x 3.5 in, aluminium rims|
|Rear Wheel||32-spoke 17 x 5 in, aluminium rims|
|Front Tyre||120/70 ZR17|
|Rear Tyre||160/60 ZR17|
|Front Suspension||Showa 43 mm USD big piston forks, fully adjustable 120 mm travel|
|Rear Suspension||Fully adjustable Öhlins twin shocks with Piggyback reservoir, 120 mm rear wheel travel|
|Front Brake||Twin 310 mm Brembo floating discs, Brembo M50 4-piston radial monobloc calipers, ABS|
|Rear Brake||Single 220 mm disc, Nissin 2-piston floating caliper, ABS|
|Width (Handlebars)||745 mm|
|Height Without Mirrors||1,030 mm|
|Seat Height||810 mm|
|Dry Weight||197 kg|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||14.5 L|
|Fuel Consumption||4.9 l/100 km (58 MPG)|
|CO2 Emissions||114 g/km|
Random News Story