BMW’s all-new R 1200 GS is the best-selling motorcycle over 125cc in the UK – for the fourth consecutive year.
Successful 2013 sees BMW Motorrad top the adventure-sports and touring sectors while growing market share.
BMW Motorrad’s class-leading R 1200 GS has, once again, dominated both the adventure-sports sector and overall sales, becoming the UK’s best-selling motorcycle over 125cc. This is the fourth consecutive year that the GS has achieved this feat.
The brand is also celebrating increasing market share overall, as well as in the adventure-sports and touring sectors.
BMW R 1200 GS 2013 sales highlights:
- The 2013 liquid-cooled BMW R 1200 GS was the UK’s best-selling motorcycle over 125cc, with 1,737 registered.
- This is the fourth consecutive year that the R 1200 GS has been the UK’s best-selling motorcycle over 125cc.
- The R 1200 GS outsold the second best-selling motorcycle in the UK by a ratio of 2.3 to 1 (1,737 to 743).
- Over 25,000 of the new R 1200 GS have been sold worldwide, the most for any new model in the 90-year history of BMW Motorrad.
BMW Motorrad UK 2013 sales highlights:
- The air-cooled R 1200 GS Adventure was the third best-selling motorcycle in the UK over 125cc and the second best-selling adventure-sports model with 735 registered in 2013.
- BMW GS motorcycles now account for 27.7% of sales in the growing adventure-sports sector. This has increased from 25% in 2012.
- The air-cooled R 1200 RT was the UK’s best-selling touring motorcycle, with 617 registered.
- The R 1200 RT was also the 10th best-selling motorcycle over 125cc in the UK.
- The new F 800 GT middleweight was the second best-selling touring motorcycle, with 474 registrations.
- Four out of the top five best-selling touring motorcycles in the UK are BMWs (K 1600 GT & K 1600 GTL fourth and fifth respectively).
- BMW motorcycles now account for 52.3% of the touring sector.
- BMW Motorrad’s UK market share over 500cc has grown from 14.4% in 2012 to 15.9% in 2013.
- Market share has almost tripled from 5.7% in 2007 to 15.9% in 2013.
- BMW Motorrad is the second most popular brand over 500cc in the UK.
BMW Motorrad 2013 worldwide sales highlights:
- BMW Motorrad celebrated its third consecutive all-time sales high in 2013, with over 115,000 motorcycles sold globally.
- Over 25,000 of the all-new R 1200 GS sold worldwide.
- The debut of the new R 1200 GS saw the best ever first-year sales of any new model in BMW Motorrad’s nine decades.
Adrian Roderick, General Manager for BMW Motorrad UK, said: “We are delighted to be able to say that the BMW R 1200 GS is, once again, the UK’s best-selling motorcycle over 125cc. The first ever liquid-cooled R 1200 GS offers performance, technology and innovation, taking adventure-sports motorcycles to an entirely new level. For it to have achieved such success in its first year is a wonderful endorsement from owners.
“What’s more, for the R 1200 RT and R 1200 GS Adventure to have sold so well is huge commendation for these much-loved models. With both being replaced by all-new liquid-cooled versions in March, we look forward to further strengthening BMW Motorrad’s position at the top of the touring and adventure-sports sectors.
“On the global scale, BMW Motorrad has celebrated its third consecutive all-time best year of sales in 2013. The new GS has been a huge part of that success; with the liquid-cooled model breaking BMW’s own records for the best first year sales of any model in their 90-year-history.”
For more information on BMW Motorrad products and services, visit www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk or call 0800 777 155.