All-time high for new bike registrations. R 1200 GS is UK’s best-selling motorcycle over 125cc for the fifth consecutive year.
BMW Motorrad is celebrating a record-breaking year for new motorcycle registrations in the UK for 2014. The Motorcycle Industry Association has released official year-end registration figures for 2014 which show that BMW Motorrad UK has hit an all-time high for new model sales.
Sales of BMW Motorrad’s new models in 2014 increased by 15% (from 6,073 to 6,959), significantly outperforming the overall market which grew 10% year-on-year.
Additionally, the R 1200 GS is once again the country’s best-selling motorcycle over 125cc – for the fifth consecutive year. The R 1200 GS Adventure was in second place. Combined sales of the two variants make the R 1200 GS & Adventure the most popular powered two-wheeler overall.
The updated liquid-cooled R 1200 RT topped the touring motorcycle sales charts (as well as being fifth highest-selling model over 125cc), while new models such as the S 1000 R took the market by storm with excellent first-year sales performance.
The acclaimed BMW R NineT was so popular that the UK’s entire allocation was sold early in 2014 and production had to be increased in order to keep up with demand.
As a result of strong sales in all sectors, BMW Motorrad UK’s market share has risen to 16% in the over 500cc category – the highest ever.
2014 Sales Highlights.
- 2014 was BMW Motorrad UK’s most successful year ever for new motorcycle registrations.
- BMW Motorrad UK sales increased by 15% from 6,073 in 2013 to 6,959 in 2014.
- BMW Motorrad UK sales outperformed the market which grew 10% in 2014.
- BMW Motorrad UK Market share over 500cc has continued to grow and is now 16% – the highest ever.
- BMW Motorrad UK is the second most popular brand over 500cc (fourth overall).
- BMW market share has increased from 7.5% in 2007 to 16% in 2014, more volume growth than any other manufacturer during this period.
- R 1200 GS is UK’s best-selling model over 125cc – for the fifth year running.
- R 1200 GS Adventure is in second place.
- R 1200 GS and Adventure variants combined hit an all-time high for sales in the UK with 2,641 registered, which also makes them the best-selling powered two-wheeler overall.
- BMW models account for 28% of the adventure sector.
- R 1200 RT is the fifth best-selling model over 125cc overall.
- R 1200 RT is the best-selling touring motorcycle; with this model alone accounting for 28% of the touring bikes sold in the UK.
- F 800 GT is second with the K 1600 GT and GTL/GTLE variants in third.
- BMW models account for 53% of the touring sector.
Phil Horton, General Manager for BMW Motorrad UK, said: “2014 was a record year for BMW Motorrad in the UK. Overall sales hit an all-time high with 6,959 new models being registered. A considerable amount of this success is thanks to the award-winning R 1200 GS, which has been the nation’s best-selling model over 125cc for five consecutive years. Bolstered by constant innovation and outstanding new motorcycles from BMW Motorrad, strong sales across the board in the adventure, touring, naked and sport sectors have helped grow our market share to 16% – the highest it has ever been.
“This year we will continue BMW Motorrad’s product offensive by launching five hugely-anticipated new models. The first three models – third generation of the unrivalled S 1000 RR, as well as the first liquid-cooled R 1200 R and the revised F 800 R – will arrive at BMW Motorrad Retailers on 07 February as part of the New Season Launch.
“This summer will also see the launch of the ground-breaking S 1000 XR adventure-sports machine and the reintroduction of the RS badge with the Boxer-powered R 1200 RS. With such a strong existing product line-up being reinforced with five outstanding new motorcycles, 2015 is set to be even more successful.”